From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 23:05:42
1 On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 01:23:16PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 > > The problems with that is these: It worked ALL these years, why should
5 > > it not now? I have / on a traditional partition which is not going to
6 > > resize easily. If I put / on LVM, I need a init thingy. I don't want a
7 > > init thingy
8 >
9 > Is that really true? Do you _really_ care whether an 'init thingy' exists
10 > on your system, or is this energy about it really based in something else?
11 >
12 > I'm just not understanding the resistance so I'm curious.
13 >
14 > I don't like, really don't like, the work that currently goes into making
15 > my 'init thingy' work. All the Gentoo docs about creating hierarchies by
16 > hand and populating them with files and then compressing it. All that
17 > drives me nuts. It should be 100% automatic, and probably is with the
18 > right tools which I haven't found.
19 >
20 > But I'm not understanding why you are so against it in totality. It would
21 > be one thing to say that it's too much work. That I understand, but not
22 > wanting one seems a bit overboard to me...
23
24 Once upon a time (for 7 years) Slackware was my distro, and not only as a
25 user. They still have a script (mkinitrd) which only asks a minimal amount of
26 information from the user to run a simple one-liner and create initrd.gz.
27
28 Gentoo had mkinitrd once upon a time, but it's now in attic. Somewhere,
29 sometime, for some reason, initramfs (inital ram filesystem) became vogue for
30 the Gentoo camp, rather than initrd (initial ram disk image), and mkinitrd got
31 retired.
32
33 Since there are so very many ways to boot a system, with / on RAID0, /usr on
34 LVM, and any other number of combinations on this LAN, I didn't bother to
35 investigate why the Gentoo devs retired mkinitrd.
36
37 So long as you're not going to let this thread die, I've thrown that in the
38 mix and maybe someone will come up with the *real* *reason* that mkinitrd,
39 such a simple method to create an initrd, is in attic rather than portage.
40 --
41 Happy Penguin Computers >')
42 126 Fenco Drive ( \
43 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^