From: "Rafael Fernández López" <info@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] What about a new file system subtree?
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:43:25
1 Hi,
2
3 Since I have started a project that needs to be redistributed (it'll be GPL)
4 I've started to deeply read Autoconf and Automake manuals.
5
6 Well, I had read some of FHS too, to know what I should do and what I should
7 not do with my file hierarchy.
8
9 But, what came to my mind (maybe it's possible today) is that we could make a
10 new "file system" subtree in every ~. For example, a user will be able to do
11 a "./configure ; make" but if the system is well-administrated a user won't
12 be able to run a "make install", since it can cause problems to the system.
13 (I know we, Gentoo users, don't care about that). But what I wanted to say is
14 that if we are not root (typical case) we could do a "./configure ; make ;
15 make install" (in an app called 'whatever') and it could create for example
16 "/home/me/bin/whatever" and "/home/me/share/doc/whatever" or
17 "/home/me/doc/whatever", and so on.
18
19 That would be great since a normal user won't infect any root filesystem, and
20 an administrator can fix any tricky problem deleting "/home/me".
21
22 Bye and thanks !,
23 Rafael Fernández López.