From: Samuraiii <samuraiii@×××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] «-»: [gentoo-user] distcc - amd64 and x86
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 17:52:43
1 On 2012-02-05 18:38, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Samuraiii <samuraiii@×××××.cz> wrote:
3 >> Hello,
4 >>
5 >> I have (right now) 3 computers runing Gentoo and as two of them are with
6 >> only 1GB of ram - which for libreoffice compiling is not enough.
7 >>
8 >> So my questions are:
9 >>
10 >> 1) Is it possible with distcc overcome this memory limitation? -call compile
11 >> on "weak" machine and leave memory load on "strong" one
12 > To a limited extent, yes. You could configure things such that
13 > compiles happen remotely, but links always have to happen locally. And
14 > anything not done with a C or C++ compiler happens locally.
15 >
16 > AFAICT, any C or C++ app's most memory-consumptive act is linking.
17 >
18 > Your better bet is probably going to be to add swap.
19 The swap thing is good idea but wont work because (libreoffice is one of
20 examples) ebuild checks for available ram not swap so when there is eg.
21 962MB of ram it fails right in begining of merge
22
23 I myself have really huge (4GB+) swap for some reasons
24 --
25 Samuraiii
26 e-mail: samuraiii@×××××.cz <mailto:samuraiii@×××××.cz>
27 GnuPG key ID: 0x80C752EA
28 <http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x80C752EA&op=vindex&fingerprint=on&exact=on>
29 (obtainable on http://pgp.mit.edu)
30 Full copy of public timestamp block <http://publictimestamp.org>
31 signatures id- (from ) is included in header of html.

bg-linky.gif image/gif