From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] «-»: [gentoo-user] distcc - amd64 and x86
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 18:47:27
1 Samuraiii wrote:
6 > On 2012-02-05 18:38, Michael Mol wrote:
7 >> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Samuraiii <samuraiii@×××××.cz> wrote:
8 >>> Hello,
9 >>>
10 >>> I have (right now) 3 computers runing Gentoo and as two of them are with
11 >>> only 1GB of ram - which for libreoffice compiling is not enough.
12 >>>
13 >>> So my questions are:
14 >>>
15 >>> 1) Is it possible with distcc overcome this memory limitation? -call compile
16 >>> on "weak" machine and leave memory load on "strong" one
17 >> To a limited extent, yes. You could configure things such that
18 >> compiles happen remotely, but links always have to happen locally. And
19 >> anything not done with a C or C++ compiler happens locally.
20 >>
21 >> AFAICT, any C or C++ app's most memory-consumptive act is linking.
22 >>
23 >> Your better bet is probably going to be to add swap.
24 > The swap thing is good idea but wont work because (libreoffice is one of
25 > examples) ebuild checks for available ram not swap so when there is eg.
26 > 962MB of ram it fails right in begining of merge
27 >
28 > I myself have really huge (4GB+) swap for some reasons
29 > --
30 > Samuraiii
31 > e-mail: samuraiii@×××××.cz <mailto:samuraiii@×××××.cz>
32 > GnuPG key ID: 0x80C752EA
33 > <http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x80C752EA&op=vindex&fingerprint=on&exact=on>
34 > (obtainable on http://pgp.mit.edu)
35 > Full copy of public timestamp block <http://publictimestamp.org>
36 > signatures id- (from ) is included in header of html.
39 It does the same for portages work space too. I have portages work
40 directory on tmpfs and I always have to mount with the size=12g option
41 so that LOo will even start.
42
43 Thing is, it rarely uses more than 4Gbs or so. Is there a way to
44 disable this mess? I got the space for my compile. I really don't need
45 the checks. Another reason for the question, the OP could add a ungodly
46 amount of swap and just listen the hard drive heads sing.
47
48 Dale
49
53 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
54 how you interpreted my words!
55
56 Miss the compile output? Hint:
57 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"