From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] distcc - amd64 and x86
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 17:39:57
1 On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Samuraiii <samuraiii@×××××.cz> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I have (right now) 3 computers runing Gentoo and as two of them are with
5 > only 1GB of ram - which for libreoffice compiling is not enough.
6 >
7 > So my questions are:
8 >
9 > 1) Is it possible with distcc overcome this memory limitation? -call compile
10 > on "weak" machine and leave memory load on "strong" one
11
12 To a limited extent, yes. You could configure things such that
13 compiles happen remotely, but links always have to happen locally. And
14 anything not done with a C or C++ compiler happens locally.
15
16 AFAICT, any C or C++ app's most memory-consumptive act is linking.
17
18 Your better bet is probably going to be to add swap.
21 > 2) second question is about arch of each computer
22 >       one is Core2Duo second Athlon 64 X2 and last is Pentium M
23 >       What steps I need to take to exploit distcc for all given machines
24 >       Do I need specific toolchains for each arch in question?
25
26 Yes. But I don't know the routine for this. I'll be watching this
27 thread myself, as I'd love to get some distcc crosscompile magic going
28 at home.
31 > 3) How is distcc prone to network failures?
32
33 If a dispatched compile fails (either because of a failure on the
34 remote end, or because of some kind of network glitch), the compile is
35 tried again locally.
36
37 If a remote distccd can't be reached, the local dispatcher won't try
38 again for a configurable amount of time. By default, that's one
39 minute.
42 :wq