From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting up a home router
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 00:22:26
1 On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 23:01 +0100, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 > > The only last thing I could suggest is running lsof to see what files
3 > > are being accessed when you start the net.eth1 script.
4 >
5 > I tried lsof, but is there a possibility to run it constantly or for a
6 > specified time to catch the complete progress of the script, like the
7 > top command to monitor all files which are used by this process. As
8 > far as i can see lsof list only the current processes and the files
9 > used and then it stops.
10
11 don't know :) someone else will have to help you there...
12
13 > > a better option would be `emerge --noconfmem <package>`, which
14 > > esentially re-does all your conf files.
15 >
16 > I tried this also but i can't figure out which files could be
17 > responsible for this
18
19 something like this should do it:
20
21 for i in `sudo find /etc -name ._cfg\*`; do tkdiff `echo $i | awk
22 '{ sub(/._cfg...._/,""); print }'` $i; done
23
24 replace tkdiff with your favourite.
25
26 > Additionally i tried this, running the init-script and then i applied
27 > this find command
28 >
29 > find / -mount -cmin -1
30 >
31 > which lists all the files which status has changed the last minute,
32 > but there are no files which could be the reason for the changing if
33 > the tables.
34 > I don't know if this command does what i want. I think it lists the
35 > files which are altered and which are accessed. Am i right here?
36
37 it will list files that have been accessed, only if you _don't_ have
38 noatime in /etc/fstab for that filesystem. noatime says don't update
39 the time when the file is accessed (but not changed). the default is
40 atime, but a lot of people use noatime for speed improvements.
43 > This gets a bit frustrating for me now i always have to reset my
44 > iptables manually after i start my internet connection. Is it possible
45 > that there is no real file causing this trouble?
46
47 There must be something, somewhere doing it.. Maybe you could join the
48 shorewall ml and see what they say? As a workaround, you could add this
49 to /etc/conf.d/net:
50
51 postup() {
52 if [[ $1 == "eth1" ]] ; then
53 /etc/init.d/iptables restart
54 fi
55 }
56
57 or something similar. Not the ideal solution, but at least it would do
58 it automatically.
59
60 sorry I can't help any further :)
64 Mollison's Bureaucracy Hypothesis:
65 If an idea can survive a bureaucratic review and be implemented
66 it wasn't worth doing.
69 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list