From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Remove redundant entries in "world" - howto
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:14:29
1 On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 07:57 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 3:23 AM, Helmut Jarausch
3 > <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > does anybody know about an easy method to remove all entries from
7 > > /var/lib/portage/world
8 > > which would have been pulled in anyway
9 > > even if they were not contained in world.
10 > >
11 > > My current attempt would be to write a script
12 > > which executes emerge -vpc on each entry in world.
13 > > If it wouldn't be removed it's obsolete in world.
14 > >
15 > > Unfortunately this has to be done in several rounds.
16 > >
17 > > Many thanks for a hint,
18 > > Helmut.
22 > In my experience the world file isn't huge - 50-100 lines - but only
23 > if it contains the things that really need to be there. I've simply
24 > commented out specific entries and run emerge -pvDuN @world to
25 > determine if the entry wasn't necessary, and if it wasn't then removed
26 > it. When I've boiled it down to things that need to be there (I.e. - I
27 > can still run emerge -pvDuN @world and there would be no changes) then
28 > I run emerge - p --depclean to look at what can be removed, make sure
29 > it's OK, and then run depclean for real.
30
31 I have a script I used to locate "redudancies" in the world file. It
32 requires gentoolkit. It basically looks at packages in world that have
33 reverse dependencies also in world (but only goes one level deep). Just
34
35 # auditworld < /var/lib/portage/world
36
37 http://paste.pocoo.org/show/302273/