From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:03:20
1 On 02/23/2010 12:26 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:11:40 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm on KDE4 but I use Thunderbird for both Usenet (including this
5 >> mailing list through GMane's "mailing-list-to-Usenet" interface) and
6 >> email. I like the simplicity and using only one app for both.
7 >
8 > Why are you passing the mail through a conversion gateway only to read it
9 > in a mail client? Wouldn't subscribing directly be even more simple?
10
11 No, because then I would get all the mail in my inbox and I would be the
12 one responsible for filtering it; a total waste on bandwidth and my
13 time. GMane does that for me instead.
14
15 I am currently "subscribed" to 31 mailing lists on GMane. I don't even
16 want to imagine what would happen if I would receive email from all of
17 them (and 90% of the posts would not interest me anyway, so why recieve
18 them in the first place?) It's just not practical. A Usenet-like
19 front-end is the perfect solution here; a mailing list is very similar
20 to a Usenet newsgroup and that's why this approach is the most practical
21 one. And even if I were subscribed to only one list, it would still be
22 the best way to access it; even though the traffic is much lower when
23 compared to 31 lists, but it's still high enough to get annoying with
24 something landing on your inbox every 10 minutes or so, even stuff you
25 don't intend to read. With Usenet, you only get what you're interested
26 in, and you get it in a way that is very easy to access and browse though.