From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:14:02
1 On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:39:48 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > > Why are you passing the mail through a conversion gateway only to
4 > > read it in a mail client? Wouldn't subscribing directly be even more
5 > > simple?
6 >
7 > No, because then I would get all the mail in my inbox and I would be
8 > the one responsible for filtering it; a total waste on bandwidth and my
9 > time. GMane does that for me instead.
10
11 Well, setting up filters is hardly taxing or time consuming, but I see
12 your point.
13
14 > I am currently "subscribed" to 31 mailing lists on GMane. I don't even
15 > want to imagine what would happen if I would receive email from all of
16 > them (and 90% of the posts would not interest me anyway, so why recieve
17 > them in the first place?) It's just not practical. A Usenet-like
18 > front-end is the perfect solution here; a mailing list is very similar
19 > to a Usenet newsgroup and that's why this approach is the most
20 > practical one. And even if I were subscribed to only one list, it
21 > would still be the best way to access it; even though the traffic is
22 > much lower when compared to 31 lists, but it's still high enough to get
23 > annoying with something landing on your inbox every 10 minutes or so,
24 > even stuff you don't intend to read. With Usenet, you only get what
25 > you're interested in, and you get it in a way that is very easy to
26 > access and browse though.
27
28 With the downside being that the process is slower, as you have to
29 download each message or thread as you want to read it. Contrast this
30 with having email delivered whether you are reading it or not and being
31 filtered at the moment of arrival so it is instantly available, sorted
32 into folders, when you start up your client. However, this convenience
33 uses more bandwidth, so if that is worth more to you than your time, using
34 Usenet for selective reading does make sense.
38 Neil Bothwick
39
40 furbling, v.:
41 Having to wander through a maze of ropes at an airport or bank
42 even when you are the only person in line.
43 -- Rich Hall, "Sniglets"