From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:04:51
1 On 02/23/2010 03:08 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:39:48 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> I am currently "subscribed" to 31 mailing lists on GMane. I don't even
4 >> want to imagine what would happen if I would receive email from all of
5 >> them (and 90% of the posts would not interest me anyway, so why recieve
6 >> them in the first place?) It's just not practical. A Usenet-like
7 >> front-end is the perfect solution here; a mailing list is very similar
8 >> to a Usenet newsgroup and that's why this approach is the most
9 >> practical one. And even if I were subscribed to only one list, it
10 >> would still be the best way to access it; even though the traffic is
11 >> much lower when compared to 31 lists, but it's still high enough to get
12 >> annoying with something landing on your inbox every 10 minutes or so,
13 >> even stuff you don't intend to read. With Usenet, you only get what
14 >> you're interested in, and you get it in a way that is very easy to
15 >> access and browse though.
16 >
17 > With the downside being that the process is slower, as you have to
18 > download each message or thread as you want to read it. Contrast this
19 > with having email delivered whether you are reading it or not and being
20 > filtered at the moment of arrival so it is instantly available, sorted
21 > into folders, when you start up your client. However, this convenience
22 > uses more bandwidth, so if that is worth more to you than your time, using
23 > Usenet for selective reading does make sense.
24
25 No, each message gets downloaded in under 1 second; it immediately
26 appears when you click on it. It's blindingly fast. No surprise
27 though, since it's just text. However, downloading thousands of
28 messages per day that I don't intent to read is a waste of bandwidth.
29 It's not so much about time, it's about volume.
30
31 You and I do the same thing in the end. The difference is that you
32 waste bandwidth, need to set up filters every time you subscribe to a
33 new list, need to unsubscribe when you don't want to receive email
34 anymore, need hard disk space to store all the downloaded messages,
35 don't have access to messages from the time you weren't subscribed yet,
36 and probably more I can't think of right now.
37
38 So in the end, we end up doing the same thing, by I do it in a saner way
39 that was designed to do exactly that. :) It appears it only has pros
40 and no cons, so I don't see a reason to use email instead.