From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: alsamixer and pulseaudio - which is at fault?
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 10:05:25
1 On 12/29/2016 03:21 PM, Mick wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > My sound has been behaving erratically for a while now, probably since
5 > pulseaudio started being shipped with various desktop applications.
6
7 I had many similar issues years ago. I solved them by doing the following:
8
9 In /etc/pulse/daemon.conf, I've set:
10
11 flat-volumes = no
12
13 In /etc/pulse/default.pa, comment-out these entries:
14
15 #load-module module-device-restore
16 #load-module module-stream-restore
17 #load-module module-card-restore
18
19 Add the "alsasound" service to "boot" runlevel:
20
21 rc-config add alsasound boot
22
23 In /etc/conf.d/alsasound, set:
24
25 RESTORE_ON_START="yes"
26 SAVE_ON_STOP="yes"
27
28 Stop the alsasound service:
29
30 /etc/init.d/alsasound stop
31
32 Delete the currently saved mixer settings:
33
34 rm /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
35
36 Use alsamixer to configure your sound card to your liking (hit F6 first
37 and select the real device.)
38
39 Start the alsasound service:
40
41 /etc/init.d/alsasound start
42
43 Stop it again to save the current mixer settings:
44
45 /etc/init.d/alsasound stop
46
47 Change /etc/conf.d/alsasound to:
48
49 SAVE_ON_STOP="no"
50
51 You're done. Reboot to check if everything is working as intended.
52
53 What the above does is make PA not restore its own settings on boot,
54 make ALSA restore your preferred settings on boot but not save
55 alterations on shutdown (next reboot will restore your initial
56 settings.) It also disables the "flat volumes" feature of PA, which for
57 me at least resulted in many "RIP my ears" moments, and also makes the
58 volume mixer (KMix and pavucontrol in my case) behave very weirdly (it
59 seems I need to get a PhD from MIT first to figure out what the volume
60 settings do when "flat volumes" is on.)
61
62 Note that the above is only done once. Do it, and reboot. After that it
63 should work forever. When upgrading PA or ALSA, make sure to not
64 overwrite your custom /etc/ settings when running "dispatch-conf" or
65 "etc-update" (or whatever you're using.)
66
67 Hope this helps.