From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE? Get me out of here!
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 22:21:00
1 On Tuesday 09 March 2010 20:12:09 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Alex Schuster wrote:
3 > > Alex Schuster writes:
4 > > > Now I'm going to emerge KDE-4.4.1, let's see what this will change.
5 > >
6 > > Nothing I notice. At least things have not gone worse:)
7 >
8 > But still they are not well. But you can safely ignore this if you don't
9 > have KDE4 or are not interested in reading how things do not work, and how
10 > I still use them. I have no good explanation for this, probably I keep
11 > using KDE4 because it is so new and shiny, because I think that the time
12 > must come when things actually DO work, and because I so not like to
13 > switch to something else. There was never a time when ALL was working
14 > fine, but at the moment I am even more disappointed then I used to be.
15 >
16 > - Kontact. The old address book I had imported fro KDE 3.5 half a year ago
17 > showed one "address book" and many std.vcf (or similar) files, with my
18 > data scattered on them. I moved all stuff into the "address book", and did
19 > not use it for a while
20 > Now I wanted to do so, but it did not run due to an error with akonadi.
21
22 Did you try to create a local resource using your systemsettings and point it
23 to the local KDE3.5 contacts file? If you restart the address book, then
24 akonadi will kick in a carry out the migration - if it does not succeed it
25 will tell you so. In that case you may need to fix things manually (I've
26 posted how in an older thread of mine, where I managed to make akonadi to
27 succeed in its migration from a local resource file using sqlite - I don't
28 have mysql in this box. Let me know if you can't find it.)
29
30 > I
31 > tried to figure out what this was, and how to get the error message in
32 > English, but then I found out that I only have to restart kontact. Fine,
33 > now I want to add a contact. First, when I want to edit the location, the
34 > country is set to Afghanistan, I always have to change this to Germany.
35 > Annoying, why is this so, who would want this behaviour, except for
36 > Afghans perhaps.
37
38 Have you tried to set up your locale in systemsettings to Germany?
39
40 > But it does not matter much, as I cannot store the data:
41 > when I press the OK button, I get a dialog where I should select the
42 > address book to store the data in, but the list is empty. Great. I tried
43 > adding a new address book, now I have two entries called "address book"
44 > and one called "personal contacts", still I cannot add an entry.
45
46 Try to get akonadi to complete its migration, or I think what you're trying to
47 do will not work.
48
49 > - Dolphin can do FTP, but I have to repeat the login process several times
50 > until I see the destination files.
51
52 I've also noticed an error when I try to connect with ftp saying that the
53 connection failed, but then if I click on reload it connects fine.
54
55 > - I just tried to listen to a CD, but KsCD does not find it. The eject
56 > button ejects, but does not close the tray if pressed again. Okay. I just
57 > thought I could play CDs with KDE. Can you?
58
59 Yes, although KsCD looks and feels pretty clunky.
60
61 > - And I am currently editing a page in my wiki with konqueror, but after
62 > the dialog appeared that I should save the edits, it sort of hangs. I can
63 > reload the page, but cannot edit any more. The good thing is that I did
64 > not edit that much yet. Which is also a bad thing, because when editing
65 > longer parts I cop the text to the clipboard from time to time, just in
66 > case something crashes. I'm doing this with this mail, too.
67 > Hmm, looks like konqueror is still working just as usual, it's just it
68 > does no display updates at all. It's the first time it happened, but as it
69 > just happened while I was writing this rant, I thought I'd include it.
70
71 Haven't noticed this.
72
73 > - Of course, Amarok keeps doing weird things. At least I can play music
74 > from my collection. But playing a stream sometimes crashes it. And
75 > dragging files into Amarok always leads to a crash. Yeah, I know, Amarok
76 > is not KDE.
77
78 Given up on that long ago (and sadly have not found a nice replacement which
79 won't pull in the whole of Gnome or worse)
80
81 > But at least one bug was fixed, I got a mail from bugzilla about this
82 > today. It's the bug that makes password dialogs not work if the password
83 > is to be displayed as three bullets. Wow, nearly two months after it had
84 > been reported, this serious bug was at least confirmed to exist and is
85 > fixed now. Maybe this bug happens seldomly, but when it happens, much of
86 > KDE4 is unusable, as you have no kmail, no kwallet, nothing that needs a
87 > password works.
88
89 Hmm ... no such problem over here.
90
91 > Dale, you brave, brave man, are you really using KDE4 now?
92 >
93 > Wonko
97 Regards,
98 Mick