From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE? Get me out of here!
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 20:13:03
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2
3 > Alex Schuster writes:
4 > > Now I'm going to emerge KDE-4.4.1, let's see what this will change.
5 >
6 > Nothing I notice. At least things have not gone worse:)
7
8 But still they are not well. But you can safely ignore this if you don't
9 have KDE4 or are not interested in reading how things do not work, and how
10 I still use them. I have no good explanation for this, probably I keep
11 using KDE4 because it is so new and shiny, because I think that the time
12 must come when things actually DO work, and because I so not like to
13 switch to something else. There was never a time when ALL was working
14 fine, but at the moment I am even more disappointed then I used to be.
15
16 - Kontact. The old address book I had imported fro KDE 3.5 half a year ago
17 showed one "address book" and many std.vcf (or similar) files, with my
18 data scattered on them. I moved all stuff into the "address book", and did
19 not use it for a while
20 Now I wanted to do so, but it did not run due to an error with akonadi. I
21 tried to figure out what this was, and how to get the error message in
22 English, but then I found out that I only have to restart kontact. Fine,
23 now I want to add a contact. First, when I want to edit the location, the
24 country is set to Afghanistan, I always have to change this to Germany.
25 Annoying, why is this so, who would want this behaviour, except for
26 Afghans perhaps. But it does not matter much, as I cannot store the data:
27 when I press the OK button, I get a dialog where I should select the
28 address book to store the data in, but the list is empty. Great. I tried
29 adding a new address book, now I have two entries called "address book"
30 and one called "personal contacts", still I cannot add an entry.
31
32 - Yesterday I tried the demo version of 'World Of Goo', a really nice
33 game. it runs in fullscreen, after ending it my panel was invisible, but
34 still working. At least turning the composite stuff off makes it visible.
35 I tried to switch the resolution with Ctrl-Alt-+/-, and indeed this made
36 the panel come back, but I could not switch the resolution back as it was
37 before. Before trying xrandr I hought I'd just start another session with
38 another window manager (via the K menu), and indeed I got the KDM screen,
39 but only because KDE had crashed. At the next login, I had to rearrange my
40 plasmoids because they were shiftwed to the left, probably due to the
41 lower resolution I had. Or something like that, as switching the
42 resolution should not change the virtual resolution. But in this case, I
43 could not scroll around to see the whole desktop. Well, whatever, I do not
44 dare to try this again.
45
46 - Dolphin can do FTP, but I have to repeat the login process several times
47 until I see the destination files.
48
49 - I just tried to listen to a CD, but KsCD does not find it. The eject
50 button ejects, but does not close the tray if pressed again. Okay. I just
51 thought I could play CDs with KDE. Can you?
52
53 - And I am currently editing a page in my wiki with konqueror, but after
54 the dialog appeared that I should save the edits, it sort of hangs. I can
55 reload the page, but cannot edit any more. The good thing is that I did
56 not edit that much yet. Which is also a bad thing, because when editing
57 longer parts I cop the text to the clipboard from time to time, just in
58 case something crashes. I'm doing this with this mail, too.
59 Hmm, looks like konqueror is still working just as usual, it's just it
60 does no display updates at all. It's the first time it happened, but as it
61 just happened while I was writing this rant, I thought I'd include it.
62
63 - Of course, Amarok keeps doing weird things. At least I can play music
64 from my collection. But playing a stream sometimes crashes it. And
65 dragging files into Amarok always leads to a crash. Yeah, I know, Amarok
66 is not KDE.
67
68 But at least one bug was fixed, I got a mail from bugzilla about this
69 today. It's the bug that makes password dialogs not work if the password
70 is to be displayed as three bullets. Wow, nearly two months after it had
71 been reported, this serious bug was at least confirmed to exist and is
72 fixed now. Maybe this bug happens seldomly, but when it happens, much of
73 KDE4 is unusable, as you have no kmail, no kwallet, nothing that needs a
74 password works.
75
76 Dale, you brave, brave man, are you really using KDE4 now?
77
78 Wonko