From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Missing keyword. Overlay question too, maybe.
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 16:20:29
1 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2022-02-19 at 09:54 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I'm just going to point to the gentoo page for this but I'd like to know
6 >> why something is in the tree if it is not available to anyone due to
7 >> missing keywords.
8 >>
9 >> https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-office/libreoffice
10 > Probably just a way for the maintainers to test before releasing it to
11 > users. Libreoffice is huge and requires a lot of cooperation from other
12 > areas. An entry in package.mask is another (more common) way to add
13 > something to the tree while still marking it as "not ready yet."
16 >> Also, I noticed I have packages coming in from overlays or something I
17 >> don't have installed/enabled here, if they are overlays.  This is one
18 >> recent example.
19 >>
20 >> root@fireball / # equery list -po firefox
21 >>  * Searching for firefox ...
22 >> [-P-] [  ] www-client/firefox-91.6.0:esr
23 >> [IP-] [  ] www-client/firefox-97.0.1:rapid
24 >> root@fireball / #
25 >>
26 > Those are just slot names. Like EAPIs, slot names are typically
27 > integers, but pretty much anything is technically legal.
34 Thanks to both for the info.  Looks to me like they would test these
35 packages in a local overlay first then move when major arches are
36 ready.  To each his/her own.  I was hoping to use the more recent
37 version and not have to update for a while.
38
39 I noticed it had no "O" for overlay which is what made me think the devs
40 had a new way to do slots.  I also guessed the esr is extended service
41 release or something to that effect and rapid is less stable and faster
42 moving version.  I seen this with another package but can't recall the
43 name.
44
45 Thanks again to both.
46