From: "John J. Foster" <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] local.start and sending an email
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:21:38
1 On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 10:14:28AM -0500, John J. Foster wrote:
2 > On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 08:16:07AM -0500, John J. Foster wrote:
3 > > >
4 > > I did note something I consider quite odd, though. While rebooting,
5 > > local.start runs right _before_ inittab starts to bring the system to
6 > > runlevel 3.
7 > >
8 > > A couple thing here.
9 > >
10 > > rc-status shows /etc/init.d/local as part of the _default_ runlevel.
11 > >
12 > > /etc/init.d/local stop - warns about shutting a boot service. This
13 > > warning only happens the first time it is stopped after a reboot.
14 > > Subsequent stops and starts produce no warnings.
15 > >
16 > > It looks to me like _local_ is for some reason being started earlier
17 > > than it should, or my understanding of the boot process is limited.
18 > >
19 > OK, I may have found the answer here, which I'll verify tonight when I
20 > get home and can watch a reboot.
21 >
22 > /etc/init.d/local needsme
23 >
24 > showed that /etc/init.d/splash was dependent on local. splash was in the
25 > boot runlevel, although I haven't used splash for a few months now, and
26 > obviously forgot to remove it. I am pretty sure this will solve my
27 > problem.
28 >
29 Well damn. Removing /etc/init.d/splash from the boot runlevel did in fact
30 cause /etc/init.d/local to run as the last initscript, just like it's
31 supposed to. But it didn't solve the problem of mutt segfaulting when
32 called here.
33
34 I took Neil's advice and emerged mailx. All is well again in gentooland.
35
36 (I'd sure like to know why mutt didn't work in local.start, though)
37
38 Thanks for all the help,
39 John
40 --