From: "John J. Foster" <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] local.start and sending an email
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 15:25:47
1 On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 08:16:07AM -0500, John J. Foster wrote:
2 > >
3 > I did note something I consider quite odd, though. While rebooting,
4 > local.start runs right _before_ inittab starts to bring the system to
5 > runlevel 3.
6 >
7 > A couple thing here.
8 >
9 > rc-status shows /etc/init.d/local as part of the _default_ runlevel.
10 >
11 > /etc/init.d/local stop - warns about shutting a boot service. This
12 > warning only happens the first time it is stopped after a reboot.
13 > Subsequent stops and starts produce no warnings.
14 >
15 > It looks to me like _local_ is for some reason being started earlier
16 > than it should, or my understanding of the boot process is limited.
17 >
18 OK, I may have found the answer here, which I'll verify tonight when I
19 get home and can watch a reboot.
20
21 /etc/init.d/local needsme
22
23 showed that /etc/init.d/splash was dependent on local. splash was in the
24 boot runlevel, although I haven't used splash for a few months now, and
25 obviously forgot to remove it. I am pretty sure this will solve my
26 problem.
27
28 I'll let you know.
29 John