From: "John J. Foster" <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] local.start and sending an email
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 13:21:28
1 On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 08:14:59AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 20:48:43 -0500, John J. Foster wrote:
3 >
4 > > I tried changing this to
5 > >
6 > > /usr/bin/date | /usr/bin/mutt -s 'System restarted' myemail@myprovider
7 > >
8 > > and get the same segmentation fault.
9 >
10 > Isn't mutt overkill for this? Do you really need a full MUA on a server.
11 > I use mail for this sort of thing, emerge mailx.
12 >
13 I agree that this would most certainly be overkill for a server. But
14 this is my home machine, and I'd just like to receive notification at
15 work if it reboots for some odd reason.
16
17 > Having said that, it would be useful to find out why mutt is segfaulting.
18 > You can eliminate and environment differences by sourcing /etc/profile
19 > before running it. I find this often helps with cron scripts.
20 >
21 I did note something I consider quite odd, though. While rebooting,
22 local.start runs right _before_ inittab starts to bring the system to
23 runlevel 3.
24
25 A couple thing here.
26
27 rc-status shows /etc/init.d/local as part of the _default_ runlevel.
28
29 /etc/init.d/local stop - warns about shutting a boot service. This
30 warning only happens the first time it is stopped after a reboot.
31 Subsequent stops and starts produce no warnings.
32
33 It looks to me like _local_ is for some reason being started earlier
34 than it should, or my understanding of the boot process is limited.
35
36 Thanks,
37 John
40 > --
41 > Neil Bothwick
42 >
43 > Minds are like parachutes; they only function when fully open. * Sir
44 > James Dewar
45
56 If voting could change anything,
57 it would be illegal