From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] In search of an truecolor-capable terminal emulator
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 19:15:39
1 On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 10:47 AM, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > currently I am using urxvt as my standard terminal
5 > application, which is FAST and reliable.
6 > But it only emulates 24bit colors if instructed so.
7 > It maps 24bit rgb to 256 color using a fast but not
8 > total correct formula to to do (which is no critism -
9 > its just the way ot is implemented).
12 I suppose you have seen https://gist.github.com/XVilka/8346728, but if
13 not, I will link it for you. Anyone following along who hasn't read it
14 might be inclined to do so.
15
16 > I googled qyite a bit to find 24color terminal
17 > emulators and the one, which came closer to
18 > what I want is sakure.
19 > But comparing the speed of sakura with urxvt
20 > (catting a long log file twice while measureing the time
21 > of the second cat) it shows that sakura needs
22 > six times more time than urxvt.
23 >
24 > Combining this with the compile sessions, which
25 > are one of the core features of Gentoo ;)))...
28 I would suggest looking at:
29 *) https://github.com/jwilm/alacritty
30 *) https://github.com/kovidgoyal/kitty
31
32 Both of which are OpenGL accelerated. Unfortunately I'm not entirely
33 sure why sakura is slow. Finding out might be worthwhile. Alacritty is
34 the shiniest, but unfortunately the rust build and setup process looks
35 very insecure, similar to Haskell. Take into account that those
36 languages are experimental.
37
38 > What I want is the "fastest" possible (...)
39 > terminal emulator supporting true color (24bit).
40 > I dont need fancy configuring options (two exception:
41 > TABS! and lightweighted) and I dont want KDE stuff (or
42 > any other bloated thing with thousands of dependencies...)
43 > I am simply using openbox.
46 Tabs are probably a stretch though I admit they are a useful feature.
47 I would recommend that if you find a Desktop Environment that has a
48 program you like you simply use it though the look may clash with your
49 other programs. It's hard enough to find programs that do what you
50 want on Linux.
51
52 > What are your experiences?
55 Nothing really seems to do what I want, and that may translate into
56 nothing really doing what you want.
57
58 > Any hint is heartly welcome! Thanks !
59 >
60 > Cheers
61 > Meino
62 >
63 > PS: The terminal emulator dont need to be part
64 > of Gentoo necessarily...if it is compilable
65 > by a human being withoyt super powers... ;)
68 Check the list on that gist - may as well keep trying them until you
69 find one that you like.