From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] In search of an truecolor-capable terminal emulator
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 02:55:58
1 Hi R0b0t1,
2
3 On 04/25 02:15, R0b0t1 wrote:
4 > On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 10:47 AM, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > currently I am using urxvt as my standard terminal
8 > > application, which is FAST and reliable.
9 > > But it only emulates 24bit colors if instructed so.
10 > > It maps 24bit rgb to 256 color using a fast but not
11 > > total correct formula to to do (which is no critism -
12 > > its just the way ot is implemented).
15 > I suppose you have seen https://gist.github.com/XVilka/8346728, but if
16 > not, I will link it for you. Anyone following along who hasn't read it
17 > might be inclined to do so.
18
19 Yes, I found that before. It triggers my post here and asking
20 for experiences... ;)
21 >
22 > > I googled qyite a bit to find 24color terminal
23 > > emulators and the one, which came closer to
24 > > what I want is sakure.
25 > > But comparing the speed of sakura with urxvt
26 > > (catting a long log file twice while measureing the time
27 > > of the second cat) it shows that sakura needs
28 > > six times more time than urxvt.
29 > >
30 > > Combining this with the compile sessions, which
31 > > are one of the core features of Gentoo ;)))...
34 > I would suggest looking at:
35 > *) https://github.com/jwilm/alacritty
36 > *) https://github.com/kovidgoyal/kitty
37
38 I tried alacritty before ... or better: I tried to solve
39 all dependencies and stopped at a certain point because
40 it got all too ... how should I call that.... fuzzy?
41
42 Kitty needs python3 ... I am on python2.
43 Last time I got in conflict with these pythons I finally
44 had to decide to reinstall my Gentoo from ground up
45 (others things were also a reason, so not to blame
46 python alone).
47 So I stopped here also.
50 > Both of which are OpenGL accelerated. Unfortunately I'm not entirely
51 > sure why sakura is slow. Finding out might be worthwhile. Alacritty is
52 > the shiniest, but unfortunately the rust build and setup process looks
53 > very insecure, similar to Haskell. Take into account that those
54 > languages are experimental.
55
56 I tried xfce4-terminal as suggested by Floyd...and got exactly the
57 reversed timings. He found xfce4-terminal six times faster than
58 urxvt and I got the reversed result.
59 If I could find the culprit on my box I would be happy with sakura
60 and/or xfve4-terminal.
61 Where can I start?
62 What may be the reasons?
63
64 > > What I want is the "fastest" possible (...)
65 > > terminal emulator supporting true color (24bit).
66 > > I dont need fancy configuring options (two exception:
67 > > TABS! and lightweighted) and I dont want KDE stuff (or
68 > > any other bloated thing with thousands of dependencies...)
69 > > I am simply using openbox.
72 > Tabs are probably a stretch though I admit they are a useful feature.
73
74 I dont like to insert just another layer of confusion ;) with
75 my terminal like screen of tmux. They are fine for in special cases
76 but for my daily tabbed terminal I would like to have native support
77 rigth in the terminal emulator.
78
79 > I would recommend that if you find a Desktop Environment that has a
80 > program you like you simply use it though the look may clash with your
81 > other programs. It's hard enough to find programs that do what you
82 > want on Linux.
83
84 I have no problems with the 'optical clash'. But I don want to
85 pull in dozenz of dependencies (KDE) just for a terminal emultor.
86 These will also increase the amount of stuff which needs to be
87 updated...
88
89 > > What are your experiences?
92 > Nothing really seems to do what I want, and that may translate into
93 > nothing really doing what you want.
94
95 ...or in other words: I need to find the reason, why some terminal
96 emulators are slow on my box and not on others...
97
98 > > Any hint is heartly welcome! Thanks !
99 > >
100 > > Cheers
101 > > Meino
102 > >
103 > > PS: The terminal emulator dont need to be part
104 > > of Gentoo necessarily...if it is compilable
105 > > by a human being withoyt super powers... ;)
108 > Check the list on that gist - may as well keep trying them until you
109 > find one that you like.
110
111 To prevent exactly that was the reason for asking for experiences
112 others made with terminal emulators.
113 Blindly following the compile-install-test-desinstall cycle with
114 applications listed somewhere is not efficient.
115
116 Cheers
117 Meino