From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless WPA and ipw2200 problems
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:10:08
1 On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 07:53:52PM +1000, Penguin Lover Alan E. Davis squawked:
2 > I have recently installed ubuntu on another partition in the mainly
3 > gentoo gateway laptop I've been running for over a year with great
4 > success. I have never had any wireless problems, using the ipw2200
5 > centrino. I've not changed kernels for a long while, still running
6 > 2.5.15 something. Never a hiccough.
7
8 Upgrading your kernel might be a good idea.
9
10 > Then, after installing ubuntu, accessing a few access points, suddenly
11 > the module for ipw2200 won't install consistently, and I get an error,
12 > the most recent error was "-1" but there was another number earlier.
13
14 I take it that you are trying to install the net-wireless/ipw2200
15 package? (since it does not come built into the kernel until somewhere
16 around 2.6.8)
17
18 > Well, at school today, confounding all this, the wireless access
19 > points have now been set up with WPA keys. Trying WEP keys with
20 > Ubuntu was unsuccessful, after failling w/ gentoo altogether. Then
21 > when trying to run "/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start" again, as I've been
22 > doing, there is no happiness, and I tracked down this failure to load
23 > the module. After a couple of tried, the module did, I think load,
24 > but because of the WPA setup, I cannot figure out how to access the
25 > net. Back to ubuntu, back to gentoo---again module problems. These
26 > are firmware problems, failture to load firmware, not the ipw2200
27 > module, sorry.
28
29 Which versions of firmware/ipw2200/kernel are you running here
30 exactly?
31
32 > Ubuntu too, I cannot figure out how to use the WPA key.
33
34 We should tackle one thing at a time. But have you looked at
35 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Wireless_Configuration_and_Startup
36
37 W
38 --
39 BOOK ...Man had always assumed that he was more
40 intelligent than
41 dolphins because he had achieved so much... the
42 wheel, New York,
43 wars, and so on, whilst all the dolphins had ever
44 done was muck
45 about in the water having a good time. But
46 conversely the
47 dolphins believed themselves to be more intelligent
48 than man for
49 precisely the same reasons.
50 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1 day, 19:57
51 --
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list