From: Paige Thompson <erratic@××××××××××.sx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 02:19:18
1 You know I don't think thats going to happen because if you look at
2 layman its not as if they didn't think of using git for package trees;
3 all of them do use git.
4
5 A good example of why I don't think they will be using git for portage:
6 ``git clone https://git.kernel.org'
7
8 This takes a very long time and a lot of bandwidth and a lot of space.
9 Why move data that isn't going to be used? With rsync I believe you can
10 exclude categories:
11 http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/TIP_Exclude_categories_from_emerge_sync
12
13 If they were gonna do that with git every category would have to be a
14 submodule. I could be wrong but I just want to believe it hasn't been
15 made available despite being supported for a good reason.
16