From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Securely deletion of an HDD
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 19:45:34
1 On 2015-07-15, wireless@×××××××××××.com <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > In my impetuous youth, The first time I got to work under an old
4 > AT&T unix license, we had several heated debates with nerds from DC
5 > and Jersey..... turns out I was right; you could kill an "phone switch"
6 > with a single shot (and old at&t 3Bx series).
7
8 Back in the 80s I worked for a company that made/sold radio-telephony
9 mobile and base station equipment (which is basically a PBX connected
10 to a bank of radio transceivers instead of phone sets). They had more
11 than a few systems installed in various Central and South American
12 countries during the 60s and 70s (the worse the standard copper
13 infrastructure, the more important mobile phones tended to be).
14
15 The field service guys told me that a not uncommon failure mode for
16 the base station equipment was bullet holes.
17
18 It turns out that one of the first things you do during a coup in a
19 small central/south american county is take over or disable the
20 radio-telphone base stations. [Back then the base stations were much
21 higher power and covered much larger areas than a cellular base
22 station does these days.]
25 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Is something VIOLENT
26 at going to happen to a
27 gmail.com GARBAGE CAN?