From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Horrible English
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 09:09:40
1 On Tuesday 09 May 2017 14:29:16 Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > It's a feature, not a bug. <G> There's a news item being worked on in
4 > the Gentoo dev list. I'd normally just link to a mail archive, but it's
5 > too new to have been archived yet. Here's a copy of the proposed news
6 > item.
7
8 (Quoting order changed.)
9
10 Sorry, Walter, but I just couldn't let this go. Reading it hurt too much.
11
12 English grammar has very few hard-and-fast rules, but one is absolutely
13 sacrosanct: every verb agrees in number with its subject. If I'd been guilty
14 of this at school I'd have earned myself a stiff rebuke:
15
16 > An indicator are linker errors ...
17
18 [...]
19
20 > [Additionally, following Gentoo policies, the default-off use-flags
21 > nopie (only present in Hardened) and nossp are replaced starting with
22 > gcc-6 by default-on use-flags pie and ssp.]
23
24 No; they are replaced, by the developers, with those flags.
25
26 > Be advised that switching from an older version to GCC 6 will ...
27
28 Those first three words are redundant; they add nothing.
29
30 > ... relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata.str1.1' can not be used
31 > when...
32
33 "Can not" should be "cannot" (different meaning).
34
35 I did say this is all off-topic. Apologies to anyone who feels aggrieved. I
36 could have suggested several other improvements as well, so I could say I've
37 let you off lightly. ;-)
38
39 (By way of explanation, 35 years ago I was made the documentation manager of
40 a 200-man-year software project. Ever since then I've been unable to read
41 anything at all without the eye of an editor - it's ruined my enjoyment of
42 everything I read. There's no hope any longer.)
45 Regards
46 Peter