From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Slow Login, Sudo, etc.
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 00:58:00
1 > > The main correlation I've seen so far is with dhcpcd. Sometimes at my
2 > > work I get a 192. IP (which doesn't work), and other times I get a
3 > > 133. IP (which is correct). In fact, sometimes dhcp is giving me an
4 > > IP address and resolv.conf related to a university I was visiting like
5 > > a month ago.
6 >
7 > It sounds like someone at your work might be (accidentally) running a
8 > rogue DHCP server...
11 For the 192 address - yeah, someone has probably plugged a WLAN or ADSL
12 router into the local network, and other people will be have the same
13 problem. If they were purposely running a rogue DHCP server to perform a Man
14 In the Middle attack you wouldn't notice any connectivity problems (assuming
15 they set it up correctly).
16
17 When dhcpcd fails to get a response from a DHCP server it will typically
18 fall back to Zeroconf/RFC3927 behavior and assign a a169.245.x.y address.
19
20 Getting the university address is very odd. AFAIK dhcpcd has no function to
21 fall back to the address from an expired lease.
22
23 Grep your logs for dhcpcd and post the result.