From: lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GnuPG Trouble - Found Problem, Need Solution
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 04:23:12
1 On Sunday 23 April 2006 02:17 pm, Mick wrote:
2 > On 23/04/06, lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
3 wrote:
4 > > I've been trying to find why I am unable to use GnuPG-agent to sign my
5 > > messages in KMail, and rather have to type in a password in all the time
6 > > through KGPG. The problem is that the GnuPG agent in the x86 area is
7 > > version 1.4.2.2, yet KMail demands verison 1.9
8 > >
9 > > I don't think it wise to change to ~x86, yet I still would like to use
10 > > GnuPG's agent. I think my options are as such:
11 > >
12 > > 1) Download version 1.9 from GnuPG's website and install it. Why
13 > > haven't I done this? I don't know how to install something in Gentoo
14 > > without it being as simple as emerge. I don't know how to install from a
15 > > file on the hard drive.
16 > >
17 > > 2) Forget KMail and signing my messages and go back to GMail.
18 > >
19 > > 3) Continue typing in my password every time I send a email.
20 > >
21 > > 4) Hack my way through some older versions of KMail and rip out the
22 > > demand for a new version of GnuPG and replace it with the older part of
23 > > KMail that could work with 1.4. Not a fun idea, 'cause I want to go do
24 > > other things.
25 > >
26 > > I find it curious that such a problem is living in current source
27 > > repository for Gentoo. I'm positive this isn't intentional, but at very
28 > > least I'd like to know if anything's being done to fix it. Plus, if
29 > > GnuPG 1.9 is so experimental, then how can KMail need 1.9? It makes no
30 > > sense to me...
31 >
32 > I've added 1.9 in /etc/portage/package.keywords like so:
33 > ==========================
34 > =app-crypt/gpg-agent-1.9.19 ~x86
35 > =dev-libs/libksba-0.9.12 ~x86
36 > =dev-libs/libassuan-0.6.10 ~x86
37 > ==========================
38 > and emerged gpg-agent. I think that would be the easiest way to
39 > achieve what you want.
40
41 So I did some hunting and somewhat successfully fixed it. However, it now
42 gives me this output which I think could become problematic in the future:
43
44 --- Invalid atom in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
45 =dev-libs/libassuan-0.6.10 ~x86
46 --- Invalid atom in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
47 =dev-libs/libksba-0.9.12 ~x86
48 --- Invalid atom in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
49 =app-crypt/gpg-agent-1.9.19 ~x86
50
51 This isn't good. It's emerging the stuff now, but I want to get rid of this
52 (the right way, not the it's-still-broken-but-we're-pretending-it's-not way).
53
54 Anyone know what I did wrong?