From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] purchasing a dell laptop
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 15:06:55
1 On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 10:36:36 -0400, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2
3 > > The XPS 13 at least is available as a "Developer Edition" that comes
4 > > with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS instead of Windows.
5 >
6 > I "dual boot" windows and gentoo. The quotes are there since my current
7 > machine (3 years old) has never been in windows post-installation. The
8 > advantage of having windows available occurs if you need dell
9 > maintenance.
10
11 Which is a rather poor reason for keeping Windows around. The Ubuntu
12 version is not significantly cheaper, but it would make dealing with
13 support that much easier if the machine was supposed to have Linux on it
14 in the first place.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 If such a program has not crashed yet, it is waiting for a critical moment
21 before it crashes.
22 -- Murphy's Computer Laws n\xB06