From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How cam I get system to recognize MagicSysReq while in X gui?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 23:04:05
1 On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 05:53:18AM +0100, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote
2
3 > Another thing you can try: add something you want to be done (like switching
4 > to a vt or a certain sysrq-key) to your acpid config and let acpid run. If
5 > the keyboard hangs, just push the power button ...
6 >
7 > for example:
8 > event=.*
9 > action=chvt 1
10 >
11 > in /etc/acpi/events/default switches to vt1 if you push the power button.
12 > Pretty usefull, if X is in deep shit mode again.
13
14 <ELVIS>
15 Thank you, thank you, thank you verrry verrry much!
16 </ELVIS>
17
18 This is a wonderful idea, and I have it implemented now. For the
19 benefit of anyone else who's interested, here are the steps I took
20
21 as root
22 cd /usr/src/linux
23 make menuconfig
24 Power management options (ACPI, APM) --->
25 [*] Power Management support
26 ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
27 [*] ACPI Support
28 <*> Button
29
30 Compile and re-boot into new kernel
31
32 emerge acpi
33
34 change the uncommented lines in /etc/acpi/events/default to read
35 event=.*
36 action=chvt 1
37
38 execute the commands...
39 /etc/init.d/acpid start (to start acpid now)
40 rc-update add default acpid (to automatically start acpid at future bootups)
41
42 Notes:
43 - When testing, I suggets executing "sync" as a precaution, just
44 before pressing the "big" power button.
45
46 - PCs also have a smaller power button which is hard-wired to shutdown
47 or re-boot. Do not press that button.
48
49 - After editing /etc/acpi/events/default run the command
50 /etc/init.d/acpid restart
51 to force acpid to read in the new config
54 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
55 I'm not repeating myself
56 I'm an X Window user... I'm an ex-Windows-user
57 --
58 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list