From: Jonathan Wright <mail@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] inhouse email
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:16:30
1 Mark wrote:
2 > Can anyone who has done it comment on the downside (if any) of bringing
3 > email in-house, as opposed to continuing to pay a hosting provider? My
4 > plan is to have a separate server, sitting by itself in the DMZ, so the
5 > internal LAN should remain relatively safe. The DSL provider we use will
6 > host the DNS records (MX). We have a top-notch firewall already in
7 > place, but this is the first step we've taken toward making anything
8 > available inbound, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
9
10 Generally, most mail will sit in a queue for around 3 days before
11 failing to deliver - but that depends on the host/server. So, the odd
12 outage shouldn't be a problem - at least it's not with me here :)
13
14 Also, it's worth double-checking to see if your ISP will allow port 25
15 inwards. Some don't, and you wouldn't want to do all that work only to
16 find nothing happening! :/
19 Jonathan Wright ~ mail at djnauk.co.uk
20 ~ www.djnauk.co.uk
21 --
22 2.6.13-gentoo-r3-djnauk-b2 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
23 up 4:46, 1 user, load average: 0.69, 0.55, 0.50
24 --
25 "Did you hear about the Scottish drag queen? He wore pants."
26
27 ~ Lynn Lavner
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list