From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: heat codes
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 01:48:21
1 James wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >>> I need to monitor this hardware for temperatures, including logging
6 >>> of temperatures, on as wide array of temperature sensors that is
7 >>> possible with kernel 3.18.6-gentoo.)
8 >> I'm not sure if this is still available or not but doesn't gkrellm do
9 >> this sort of thing? I used it to monitor another rig several years
10 >> ago. May be worth looking into.
11 >> Dale
12 >
13 > That (gkrellm) codebase looks old, un-maintained and wee bit clumsy. It's
14 > interesting to examine for ideas. I think I'm going with something a bit more
15 > embedded inspired, for speed and portability reasons. I also have since
16 > found this interesting piece of code;
17 >
18 > sys-cluster/ganglia
19 >
20 > First glance, it's a bit heavy-handed for my needs. I've gotta keep
21 > looking before I decide on a path forward for RT temperature monitoring,
22 > dB tracking and problem profiling.
23 >
24 > Thanks!
25 > James
29 While it has been a while since I used gkrellm to monitor a remote
30 system, I use it every day to monitor my system I sit at. Keep in mind,
31 not much changes on how gkrellm works. It looks for temp/fan/CPU/memory
32 etc info and displays it. I'm not sure it requires a whole lot of
33 updating to do that especially given it has worked fine here for ages
34 and not much has really changed.
35
36 It was the remote part that I wasn't sure about. I know it used to have
37 that feature and if it still does, the remote part works just like the
38 local part does. You just tell it to monitor something other than the
39 system you are sitting at.
40
41 Sorry I wasn't more clear in my first message.
42
43 Dale
44