From: Marcus Wanner <marcusw@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox 3.5 without changing entire system to ~arch?
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 19:22:06
1 On 11/2/2009 1:40 PM, Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 > On 11/2/2009 12:16 PM, Marcus Wanner wrote:
3 >
4 >> Could anyone tell me how to install firefox 3.5.x without changing the
5 >> entire installation to ~arch? I have been looking around on the web for
6 >> how to do this, but can't find anything that doesn't require being
7 >> (afaict) very invasive to the rest of the system. Thanks!
8 >
9 > For mozilla specifically, see below.
10 >
11 > In general, you would create a file called
12 > /etc/portage/package.keywords (or as I prefer, a directory
13 > /etc/portage/package.keywords/ and then a file within that directory),
14 > and put the package name in it.
15 >
16 > However, it's generally considered a bad idea to mix and match arch
17 > and ~arch on a single system, since the dependencies cascade pretty
18 > quickly. You'll eventually end up with the core packages on your
19 > system keyworded anyway, which defeats the whole point of running stable.
20 >
21 >> P.S. Mozilla considers this version to be stable/mature and is pushing
22 >> out it as the version most people should use. Why hasn't it been marked
23 >> as stable in the portage tree yet?
24 >
25 > It may just be an oversight; check bugs.gentoo.org to see if there's
26 > already a bug report asking it to be stabilized. If there isn't
27 > already one, just file a new one. (It may help to mention that it's
28 > stable on amd64 already.)
29 >
30 > --Mike
31 Thank you, I added firefox and xulrunner to package.keywords and that
32 did the trick.
33
34 Marcus