From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Time for hardware upgrade(s)
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 01:28:02
1 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> [11-07-03 01:12]:
2 > >>> The most important thing is reliability and Linux compatibility but I
3 > >>> also need HDMI and I figure USB 3.0 is a good idea.  The system is for
4 > >>> playing music and movies, no gaming whatsoever.  If you're familiar
5 > >>> with the current hardware scene, where would you go from here as far
6 > >>> as a motherboard and other components?  Any features a Gentoo'er
7 > >>> should look for?
8 > >>>
9 > >>> - Grant
10 > >>
11 > >> Is Nvidia still the way to go instead of ATI?
12 > >
13 > > Yep.  Unless you have old ATI hardware.  Current hardware doesn't work well.
14 > >  Since he wants to buy new stuff, NVidia is recommended.
15 >
16 > That's what I was afraid of. The fact that Nvidia has stopped making
17 > onboard video will pose a problem. I could install an Nvidia video
18 > card but I'm trying to keep temps low and I don't want a third fan in
19 > the case.
20 >
21 > - Grant
24 Hi Grant,
25
26 half a year ago my motherboard lost its blue smoke and I had to buy a
27 new PC (the rest of the old one was outdated).
28
29 One of my thoughts was: No graphics card with a fan!
30
31 But the guy in the store said, that graphics cards without a fan has a
32 problem: Either they are to slow (less heat) to be bought by the
33 people or they are fast enough to be bought, but they will die
34 sooner/easier due to a too hot GPU.
35
36 He gave me a card with fans and said: "If you hear something too loud
37 -- bring it back."
38 I tested the card and: Nothing. The only thing I hear is the very
39 quiet fan of the PC case.
40
41 The card is a: MSI N430GT PCI Express 2.0.
42
43 It has two fans, which means lesser noise since both fans can run
44 at lower speed.
45
46 You said, you will not need a gamer graphics card. But if you are a
47 fan of rendering (Blender,Luxrendere etc...) you may consider a card
48 with more muscles since GPU based rendering is the way to go.
49
50 BUT:
51 When reading the driver informations from nvidia I found that the
52 sections saying "Added support for...." are still missing the GT 430.
53 I dont know whether this has any impact to you work -- the card runs
54 well with Linux and the OpenGL-based Blender does not have any
55 problems (its GPU based render engine is currently under development
56 so I didnt test that...)
57
58 If you are intereseted in the setup of my PC, post me a mail!
59
60 Best regards,
61 mcc