From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Overclocking CPU causes segmentation fault
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 11:44:22
1 On 22/01/13 13:14, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 22 January 2013 03:13:01 PM IST, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 22/01/13 09:41, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
4 >>> So I have this old E2180 processor and no money as of now to buy a new
5 >>> rig :P
6 >>> I'm trying to overclock my CPU using BIOS host clock control and
7 >>> everything is fine at 2.6 Ghz up to bootloader.
8 >>>
9 >>> Kernel segfaults. Any idea why? I'm running pf-kernel 3.7.2 and it
10 >>> doesn't work with vanilla kernel either.
11 >>>
12 >>> Intel MCE is disabled in kernel configuration.
13 >>
14 >> When you raise the "host clock", which is the FSB, you are also
15 >> raising the frequency of your RAM. So make sure you select a lower
16 >> FSB:DRAM ratio in your BIOS. To begin with, set it to 1:1.
17 >>
18 >> Also, if you only have the stock CPU cooler that came with it, you
19 >> won't be able to actually get a stable overclock. Your CPU's stock
20 >> frequency is 2GHz. Without a better cooler, you might get it to 2.2
21 >> or 2.3 maybe. But 2.6? That's pretty optimistic. I don't think
22 >> it'll work in the long run, unless you happen to have picked a good
23 >> chip that can be overclocked without raising the VCore.
24 >>
25 >> But first, solve the RAM problem by lowering the FSB:DRAM ratio.
29 > I don't get even 2.1 with the stock cooler. Temperature easily goes
30 > above 75-80 (spec say high temp is 86) on the prime95 test. Quite easy
31 > to cook it considering that I'm a Gentoo user :D
32 > Not really worth that. Thanks for replies.
33
34 It really worth trying *lowering* VCore instead of raising it. If your
35 chip happens to be very good and deal with this without causing
36 instabilities, this will result in a big drop of temperatures. I did
37 this on a C2D CPU in the past. I lowered VCore and raised FSB. I ended
38 up with a good performance boost *and* lower temperatures.
39 Unfortunately, not all chips behave the same. It's hit and miss.