From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: CPU socket and picking a heat sink.
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 18:21:27
1 masterprometheus wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
5 >> Thanks for confirming that the coolers will fit. I did some googling
6 >> but it just wasn't making sense to me yet. I found a site later on
7 >>
8 > that
9 >
10 >> said most coolers used different "adapters" to work with different
11 >> sockets if needed. That helped me figure out some of it.
12 >>
13 >> Picking another mobo was a good idea. I actually ended up picking this
14 >> one:
15 >>
16 >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103675
17 >>
18 > This is a retail product, it will come with a cooling device. If you're
19 > not going to overclock it will be sufficient and you won't need to pay
20 > for an HSF. However, some third party coolers produce much less noise if
21 > that's a consideration.
24 I know but I can't find a OEM version. As I posted in another reply, I
25 used the supported CPU list from Gigabytes site to pick this CPU. VERY
26 open to a OEM version tho.
29 >> That is a GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 AMD 770 which is a bit better.
30 >>
31 > A good board and choice.
34 Good to know. I don't need, and can't afford, bleeding edge hardware.
35
36 >> I'll
37 >> have to figure out a way to get my UPS, which uses a serial port, to
38 >> work but I *think* I still have a serial to USB adapter around here
39 >> somewhere. I'm going to have to cross that bridge one of these days.
40 >>
41 > Your motherboard includes a serial port header. The only thing you need
42 > is a port like this one :
43 >
44 > http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=3543&sku=09480#
47 Thanks for the link. If the mobo does have that when it gets here, I'll
48 be ordering that. I need one anyway since dial-up is my back-up
49 connection to the net. I hope it never comes to that tho. Sort of
50 hooked on DSL now. lol
53 >> This mobo is not as new as the Gigabyte you linked to but the one I
54 >> posted above is in my budget. I actually blew my budget and may end up
55 >> spending a little more than planed. I forgot the the new way for
56 >>
57 > drives
58 >
59 >> is to use SATA instead of IDE. I had to add a DVD burner that was SATA
60 >>
61 > This board supports up to 2 PATA devices. I guess you already had some
62 > PATA devices.
66 It does have one connection but I'm wanting to go ahead and go SATA all
67 the way if I can. I may hook up a old hard drive that is IDE one day,
68 maybe as a rescue or something. I plan to continue using my old rig to
69 run folding at least.
70
71 >> and also had to get some Artic Silver since I can't find my other tube
72 >> from years ago.
73 >>
74 >> I'll take the opportunity to say this again. The new Cooler Master
75 >>
76 > case
77 >
78 >> is HUGE. lol
79 >>
80 > Which coolermaster you picked ? Good luck.
85 I picked this monster:
86
87 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160
88
89 I got it in already and it is nice, especially compared to my old case.
90
91 Dale
92