From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unclear (to me) errors from portage
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 16:50:39
1 On 8 August 2014 18:21:08 CEST, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 >On Fri, Aug 08 2014, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 2:23 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
5 >wrote:
6 >>> I notice a few perl blockers.
7 >>> You could try the following:
8 >>>
9 >>> # emerge -vuD1 $(qlist -IC 'virtual/perl-*')
10 >>> # perl-cleaner --all -v -- -v
11 >>>
12 >>> And then retry to update world.
13 >>> I've been encountering some perl blockages myself, and this cleared
14 >>> it up for me.
15 >>
16 >> On stable the most recent perl update seems very prone to blockers,
17 >> and I found that cleaning out the virtuals using the first command
18 >> given helped portage sort things out considerably.
19 >>
20 >> If a package outputs an update notice like that, it is usually for a
21 >> reason...
22 >
23 >I see.
24 >
25 >On my other systems, no blockers have been reported.
26 >Should I run the two commands above anyway?
27 >
28 >I do understand "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but I wonder if
29 >there
30 >are problems waiting to happen that those two commands would eliminate.
31 >
32 >thanks,
33 >allan
34
35 Perl-cleaner and python-updater ensure the different perl and python dependent parts are rebuild against the configured perl and python packages.
36
37 Usually these are the latest versions.
38
39 Problems can occur when you run emerge --depclean and the perl or python versions used for said packages disappear.
40
41 I also would have concerns if different versions were used for different packages and they need to work together.
42
43 I always run perlcleaner and python updater after each update.
46 Joost
47 --
48 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.