From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cause jdk1.5 emerge tomcat error!
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 18:23:46
1 On Saturday 13 May 2006 03:19, "wu chuanwen" <wcw8410@×××××.com> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] cause jdk1.5 emerge tomcat error!':
3 > 2006/5/13, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03@××××××××××.net>:
4 > > Change your system javac to a 1.4 for the emerge of commons-daemon.
5 > > The resulting class/jar files will run in a 1.5 vm -- since enum and
6 > > assert (introduced in 1.4) are both still valid identifiers in
7 > > bytecode under a 1.5 vm.
8 >
9 > How can i change my javac to 1.4?
10
11 Use java-config.
12
13 > You mean re-emerge sun-jdk1.4?
14
15 You will have to have /a/ 1.4 javac, not necessarily Sun's.
16
17 > Is
18 > there any other ways?
19
20 Sure, write and apply a patch to tomcat that removes all uses of enum as an
21 identifier. For extra points, submit it back to the community.
22
23 Or write and apply a patch to tomcat's native build process and/or the
24 ebuild so that '--source 1.4' and possibly '--target 1.4' is passed to
25 javac whenever it is called. I'd say give this back to the community,
26 too, but we probably don't want it: Passing those options unconditionally
27 breaks backwards compatibility and forward progress.
30 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
31 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
32 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
33 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh