From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with new install
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 17:41:19
1 Am 15.10.2010 19:29, schrieb Mike Diehl:
2 > Hi all.
3 >
4 > I've never had this much trouble with a server before, but I've been pulling
5 > my hair out.
6 >
7 > The install seemed to go well, but when I rebooted it from it's own hard
8 > drive, it fails. fsck claims that it can't open /dev/sda3 or that the
9 > superblock doesn't describe a valid ext2 filesystem.
10 >
11 > However, when I reboot from the live CD, it mounts just fine and fsck says
12 > it's clean.
13 >
14 > Here is the /etc/fstab:
15 > /dev/sda1 /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
16 > /dev/sda3 / ext2 noatime 0 1
17 > /dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0
18 > /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro 0 0
19 > shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
20 >
21 > Here is the /boot/grub/grub.conf file:
22 > default 0
23 > timeout 30
24 > splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
25 >
26 > title Gentoo Linux
27 > root (hd0,0)
28 > kernel /bzImage root=/dev/sda3
29 >
30 > I've verified that ext2 and ext3 are in the kernel statically. I've also
31 > compiled in ALL of the SATA drivers, statically.
32 >
33 > What am I missing?
36 *All* of the drivers could be too much. There is a generic driver which
37 can prevent the "right" driver from taking over. In that case you end up
38 with a /dev/hda node and no DMA. Try to deactivate "Generic ATA support"
39 = CONFIG_ATA_GENERIC and "generic/default IDE chipset support" =
40 CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC.
41
42 I think it is the second option that causes that problem. However, you
43 won't need the first option, either.
44
45 Instead of your brute-force "yes to all" approach, newer kernels also
46 support `make localyesconfig` which takes all modules currently used in
47 the running kernel and compiles them into the new kernel. It is very
48 helpful when you already have a good but generic kernel like the one on
49 your live CD.
50
51 If even that doesn't help, it might be possible that the device
52 numbering has changed and your hard disk is detected as /dev/sdb or so.
53 Try mounting it by UUID (google for it, please).
54
55 Hope this helps,
56 Florian Philipp