From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 01:38:24
1 130423 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I recently got a new Dell "desktop PC" at home
3 > Now I'm getting ready to partition and reformat for a Gentoo install.
4 > I've used ReiserFS3 for years with no problems,
5 > but I keep hearing horror stories about it.
6
7 I haven't read any horror stories re Reiser 3 ,
8 which I've been using for 10 years without any problem ever.
9 Reiser 4 was stalling even before its creator's legal problems
10 & seems unlikely to get kernel support,
11 but Reiser 3 is still being developed & is probably simply mature.
12
13 > This will be my biggest main hard drive yet (1 terabyte),
14 > so I'm considering EXT3 for the main partition.
15
16 Reiser is supposed to be good for large numbers of small files,
17 so partly it will depend on just what you plan to use the space for.
18
19 > My understanding is that BTRFS and EXT4 are still a bit "bleeding edge".
20
21 My impression is that Btrfs is a bit unstable, but Ext4 is usable.
22 I haven't used either.
26 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
27 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
28 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca