From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Frozen after Upgrade
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 14:08:44
1 On Monday 03 May 2010 15:47:41 Colleen Beamer wrote:
2 > On 5/3/10, Indexer <indexer@××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > On 03/05/2010, at 11:01 PM, Colleen Beamer wrote:
4 > >> Hi,
5 > >> Yesterday, I updated my system. On reboot, I get to my login screen,
6 > >> but then everything is frozen - the cursor blinks in the box where I
7 > >> am supposed to enter my password, but the keyboard doesn't work and my
8 > >> mouse is frozen. I don't know if this has something do do with the
9 > >> xorg update that happened in connection with my nvidia driver.
10 > >>
11 > >> I can't even kill X because, stupid me didn't configure the
12 > >> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace when it was no longer automatically configured.
13 > >>
14 > >> Right now, I have booted from a Kubuntu live CD so was able to get
15 > >> into the system to write this.
16 > >>
17 > >> Is there a way I can fix this without having to do a complete reinstall?
18 > >
19 > > I would be checking my Xorg.conf to see if you have evdev enabled, set
20 > > evdev in your make.conf just in case, and make sure you have hald set to
21 > > start on boot as xorg now needs it for keyboard and mouse.
22 >
23 > This would be good if I could get to a terminal seesion, but I can't.
24 > The keyboard doesn't work and I can't login.
25 >
26 > Right now, I am using a Kubuntu live CD and mounting is disabled.
29 You said you did a system upgrade. Did this involve a kernel upgrade too?
30
31 If so, you are likely running into missing nvidia drivers in your new
32 /lib/modules/. So:
33
34 - reboot to single user maintenance mode.
35 - disable /etc/init.d/xdm
36 - remerge nvidia-drivers, making sure that /usr/src/linux point s to the new
37 kernel that is to be configured
38 - reboot
39 - enable /etc/init.d/xdm
40 - start xdm