From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Frozen after Upgrade
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 14:31:06
1 On 5/3/10, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 03 May 2010 15:47:41 Colleen Beamer wrote:
3 >> On 5/3/10, Indexer <indexer@××××××××××××.net> wrote:
4 >> > On 03/05/2010, at 11:01 PM, Colleen Beamer wrote:
5 >> >> Hi,
6 >> >> Yesterday, I updated my system. On reboot, I get to my login screen,
7 >> >> but then everything is frozen - the cursor blinks in the box where I
8 >> >> am supposed to enter my password, but the keyboard doesn't work and my
9 >> >> mouse is frozen. I don't know if this has something do do with the
10 >> >> xorg update that happened in connection with my nvidia driver.
11 >> >>
12 >> >> I can't even kill X because, stupid me didn't configure the
13 >> >> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace when it was no longer automatically configured.
14 >> >>
15 >> >> Right now, I have booted from a Kubuntu live CD so was able to get
16 >> >> into the system to write this.
17 >> >>
18 >> >> Is there a way I can fix this without having to do a complete
19 >> >> reinstall?
20 >> >
21 >> > I would be checking my Xorg.conf to see if you have evdev enabled, set
22 >> > evdev in your make.conf just in case, and make sure you have hald set to
23 >> > start on boot as xorg now needs it for keyboard and mouse.
24 >>
25 >> This would be good if I could get to a terminal seesion, but I can't.
26 >> The keyboard doesn't work and I can't login.
27 >>
28 >> Right now, I am using a Kubuntu live CD and mounting is disabled.
31 > You said you did a system upgrade. Did this involve a kernel upgrade too?
32 >
33 > If so, you are likely running into missing nvidia drivers in your new
34 > /lib/modules/. So:
35 >
36 > - reboot to single user maintenance mode.
37 > - disable /etc/init.d/xdm
38 > - remerge nvidia-drivers, making sure that /usr/src/linux point s to the new
39 > kernel that is to be configured
40 > - reboot
41 > - enable /etc/init.d/xdm
42 > - start xdm
43
44 New kernel was downloaded, but I did not upgrade the kernel. If that
45 was the situation, I wouldn't be able to load to my login screen - I
46 would be booted back to the command line. I get to the login screen,
47 but then, everything is frozen - keyboard and mouse.
48
49 I don't understand what you mean by booting to a single user
50 maintenance mode. How do I do that?
51
52 Colleen