From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Frozen after Upgrade
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 14:59:44
1 On Monday 03 May 2010 16:30:53 Colleen Beamer wrote:
2 > > You said you did a system upgrade. Did this involve a kernel upgrade too?
3 > >
4 > > If so, you are likely running into missing nvidia drivers in your new
5 > > /lib/modules/. So:
6 > >
7 > > - reboot to single user maintenance mode.
8 > > - disable /etc/init.d/xdm
9 > > - remerge nvidia-drivers, making sure that /usr/src/linux point s to the
10 > > new kernel that is to be configured
11 > > - reboot
12 > > - enable /etc/init.d/xdm
13 > > - start xdm
14 >
15 > New kernel was downloaded, but I did not upgrade the kernel. If that
16 > was the situation, I wouldn't be able to load to my login screen - I
17 > would be booted back to the command line. I get to the login screen,
18 > but then, everything is frozen - keyboard and mouse.
19
20 Oh yes, of course. Obvious in retrospect
21
22 > I don't understand what you mean by booting to a single user
23 > maintenance mode. How do I do that?
24
25 At the grub menu, select the kernel you wish to boot.
26 Press "e"
27 Move cursor to the "kernel" line
28 Press "e"
29 Move cursor to the end of the line. Append " 1" or " single"
30 Press <enter>
31 Press "b"
32
33 This will load the kernel and run a modified start-up sequence (not the
34 regular init command). You get a root shell which is quite limited but usually
35 adequate for repairing broken system.
36
37 In a way, it's very similar to booting into a LiveCD without having to go and
38 find the CD first
43 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com