From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading to gcc 4.1: emerge -e world required?
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 18:58:30
1 On Saturday 27 May 2006 19:58, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2 > Richard Fish wrote:
3 > > On 5/27/06, Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> wrote:
4 > >> gcc update "Nothing needs to be done".... Sure... How much did the
5 > >> person who wrote this check? "Hello World!" worked, and that's it?
6 > >>
7 > >> Sometimes this complete lack of QA is really pissing me off :(
8 > >
9 > > Stop using ~arch packages, or stop whining.
10 >
11 > No, I won't do neither. The GWN and the upgrade doc used to say,
12 > that an upgrade is (basically) riskless.
16 no it does not.
17 You are talking bullshit.
18
19 GWN:
20
21 The number of applications that do not compile with gcc-4.1 is extremely small
22 now, and most users should not experience any problems with ~arch packages
23 not compiling.
24
25 Read it, understand it. It is hard, I know. But it does not say 'riskless'.
26 Not even 'basically riskless'. Read again.
27
28 And the uzpgrade guide says:
29 Generally speaking, upgrades to bug fix releases, like from 3.3.5 to 3.3.6,
30 should be quite safe -- just emerge new version, switch your system to use it
31 and rebuild the only affected package, libtool. However, some GCC upgrades
32 break binary compatibility; in such cases a rebuild of the affected packages
33 (or even whole toolchain and system) might be required.
37 > > ~arch works most of the
38 > > time, but it is a _testing_ branch. Do you expect the devs to login
39 > > to each and every Gentoo user's system to test a new package and
40 > > ensure complete functionality before adding it to ~arch?
41 >
42 > Bullshit.
43 >
44 > I'd expect them to do testing and not give so bold statements
45 > as "The upgrade should be incredibly easy and require no additional
46 > work to install and use. " without making VERY sure, that this
47 > is actually true.
50 and ~arch is the testing ground. Basic testing 'it works or it works not' are
51 the hard-masked packages.
52 Maybe you should calm down?
53 Or do you want to stay in your sulk-mode and act like a prima donna?
56 > And what's also irritating are so many small errors, like files
57 > with non-matching filesizes/checksums in the digests.
58 >
59 > > I just upgraded to gcc-4.1 and pruned 3.4.6, and KDE, koffice, OOo,
60 > > and mozilla all still load and run fine.
61 >
62 > Did you yet re-compile Qt 3 and Qt 4? No?
63 >
64 > Then you're experiences just don't count. KDE broke on my
65 > system, when I recompiled Qt. Before the recompile, KDE was fine.
66 > As I've wrote in lengths on the bug report. Seems you've not read
67 > it - why not? Why am I writing reports and *also* post links
68 > here?
71 oh, that is sooo surprising. Most of the times, a qt-update requires
72 recompiling kdelibs, base and network (and kdepim). Something that happens
73 even without gcc-updates.
74
75 > Did you try to compile glib? No? Then I guess you've done no testing.
76
77 if he does not have glib?
78
79 > Or what kind of testing have you done?
80
81 enough for his system?
84 > > Since these are all heavy
85 > > C++ users, I am sure that for my (pure ~x86) system, there are no
86 > > issues.
87 >
88 > Congrats. It's not only me who's having problems.
91 no, you are not the only one, but you are one who makes a lot of fuss about
92 problems, that are easy to solve and even happen without any gcc updates -
93 and you should have learnt to deal with a long time ago.
94 --
95 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list