From: Kevin Brandstatter <kjbrandstatter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} A simple routing problem
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 17:11:38
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 12/18/2012 05:27 AM, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
5 > On Tuesday 18 December 2012 03:41:44 PM IST, J. Roeleveld wrote:
6 >> On Tue, December 18, 2012 04:44, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
7 >>
8 >> <SNIP>
9 >>
10 >>> Actually my fiber connection has a smaller limit than the ADSL
11 >>> connection. I am trying to use the fiber connection for all
12 >>> activities except some torrent downloading for which I want to
13 >>> use my ADSL connection. Once I'm able to route through the ADSL
14 >>> gateway, it would be easy for me to setup another ip on eth0 on
15 >>> my machine on which transmission could listen. All traffic on
16 >>> that ip would be routed through ADSL and otherwise the fiber.
17 >>
18 >> Nilesh,
19 >>
20 >> I read that you managed to fix it, but for completenes and, if
21 >> applicable, a different solution would be a router with 2 or more
22 >> WAN-ports that can do the routing for you. Added benefit there
23 >> would be that if the fiber connection dies, it would be able to
24 >> automatically route everything through the ADSL.
25 >>
26 >> -- Joost
30 > Yeah that solution is always there, but I'm not going for that
31 > since I'm evaluating the fiber connection (a new ISP in my
32 > locality). Won't need the ADSL may be after a month or so when I'll
33 > have unlimited plan on fiber.
34 >
35 > @Pandu, or may be the DSL ISP was down yesterday when I was
36 > trying.
37 >
38 > The problem is not exactly fixed yet, although I'm able to add
39 > static routes on the DDWRT router using route command (and it is
40 > working), there's no way to route all traffic from a source via the
41 > other router. It doesn't have iptables ROUTE target neither
42 > iproute2 support.. is there some other method do to this using
43 > iptables?
44 >
45 > The whole problem would be solved if I could add routes on my local
46 > machine, but that doesn't seem to work. It always goes via fiber
47 > which is the default route.
48 >
49 > The final solution to this problem would be putting in a Linux
50 > machine there. I'm trying to build Gentoo for the Raspberry Pi
51 > which can be used for this task, but stuck at Python since it won't
52 > cross compile. Anyway that's another topic.
53 >
54 > -- Nilesh Govindarajan http://nileshgr.com
55 >
56 you actually can add routes on a local machine. the real trick would
57 be to have them pushed from the dd-wrt box so that they dont have to
58 be manually set each time
59
60 - -Kevin