From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} A simple routing problem
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 13:29:05
1 On Tuesday 18 December 2012 03:41:44 PM IST, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Tue, December 18, 2012 04:44, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
3 >
4 > <SNIP>
5 >
6 >> Actually my fiber connection has a smaller limit than the ADSL
7 >> connection. I am trying to use the fiber connection for all activities
8 >> except some torrent downloading for which I want to use my ADSL
9 >> connection.
10 >> Once I'm able to route through the ADSL gateway, it would be easy for
11 >> me to setup another ip on eth0 on my machine on which transmission
12 >> could listen. All traffic on that ip would be routed through ADSL and
13 >> otherwise the fiber.
14 >
15 > Nilesh,
16 >
17 > I read that you managed to fix it, but for completenes and, if applicable,
18 > a different solution would be a router with 2 or more WAN-ports that can
19 > do the routing for you.
20 > Added benefit there would be that if the fiber connection dies, it would
21 > be able to automatically route everything through the ADSL.
22 >
23 > --
24 > Joost
28 Yeah that solution is always there, but I'm not going for that since
29 I'm evaluating the fiber connection (a new ISP in my locality). Won't
30 need the ADSL may be after a month or so when I'll have unlimited plan
31 on fiber.
32
33 @Pandu, or may be the DSL ISP was down yesterday when I was trying.
34
35 The problem is not exactly fixed yet, although I'm able to add static
36 routes on the DDWRT router using route command (and it is working),
37 there's no way to route all traffic from a source via the other router.
38 It doesn't have iptables ROUTE target neither iproute2 support.. is
39 there some other method do to this using iptables?
40
41 The whole problem would be solved if I could add routes on my local
42 machine, but that doesn't seem to work. It always goes via fiber which
43 is the default route.
44
45 The final solution to this problem would be putting in a Linux machine
46 there. I'm trying to build Gentoo for the Raspberry Pi which can be
47 used for this task, but stuck at Python since it won't cross compile.
48 Anyway that's another topic.
51 Nilesh Govindarajan
52 http://nileshgr.com