From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Rules
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 13:13:59
1 > > > > The real blocker for features that I'd like Gentoo to support is
2 > > > > Portage. There is only 1½ people working on it and changing anything in
3 > > > > it is hard because Portage is a horrible mess. There's plenty of
4 > > > > activity in the tree but new desired features cannot be used in the
5 > > > > tree until Portage supports them. It also doesn't make matters better
6 > > > > that over the years all sorts of weird hacks (that now have to be
7 > > > > supported) have been added to the tree instead of waiting for proper
8 > > > > solutions. Most people who are capable of helping to improve Portage
9 > > > > just don't want to touch it.
10 > > >
11 > > > Would you say that portage is the main block in the way of Gentoo's
12 > > > continued progress?
13 > >
14 > > Actually I guess that's pretty much exactly what you said. I didn't
15 > > realize portage is where the problem lies. In fact, I thought we were
16 > > all still proud of portage I'm going to think about this some.
17 >
18 > It all depends on what kind of features you're interested in. The features I
19 > happen to be interested in requires ebuild changes (which means that me using
20 > another package manager doesn't help) *and* requires package manager support
21 > before said ebuild changes can happen. Therefore for me Portage is a
22 > blocker...
23
24 What does everyone else think about this. Is portage a major blocker
25 of progress or not so much?
26
27 - Grant
28 --