From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to configure thochpad sensitivity (using hal)?
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 00:59:39
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 02:43 on Thursday 18 November 2010, Walter
2 Dnes did opine thusly:
3
4 > On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 02:00:48AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
5 >
6 > > If you then mentioned that their defaults broke Dale's setup, they'd
7 > > likely answer "Who's Dale?" followed shortly by "None of us have
8 > > hardware like Dale to test. Sorry 'bout that. Set USE=-hal"
9 >
10 > Of course the USE flag advice is given *AFTER* the new flag breaks
11 > your system. That's why I use "-*" at the beginning of my USE in
12 > /etc/make.conf. I never found out whether hal would break my system<G>.
13 > If Dale had used "-*" his X would not have broken, even if some other
14 > ebuild pulled it onto the machine as a hard-coded dependancy.
15
16 Looks like the *actual* problem is non-application of OYFEAL[1],not what the
17 devs do.
18
19 Dale should have seen a new package being installed - an "N" inside "[ ]",
20 should have seen new flags highlighted in colour, and should have decided.
21
22 If he decided to go without hal, nothing would have changed for him.
23 He decided to go with hal, and he got the breakage he did. Either way, seeing
24 the USE flag changes tells him nothing about the impending breakage. He can
25 only know that by *doing it*, or reading about others that did it.
26
27 Let's look at this sanely and realise that there's nothing magic about hal and
28 what it did. It has bugs. Big deal. So did jpeg and look at the carnage that
29 one caused.
30
31 How would your method of handling USE have assisted in preventing that
32 breakage? Please note that the breakage in jpeg is much *much* more common
33 than changes to default USE.
37 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com