From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Terminals that work with "compose" key?
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:19:36
1 On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2009-02-17, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> The compose key still works fine in xjed, emacs, rxvt, mrxvt,
6 >>> xterm, and dozens of GTK and Qt based apps. But, it doesn't
7 >>> work in aterm or urxvt.
8 >
9 > [...]
10 >
11 >> I've never owned a keyboard with a "Compose" key, actually I
12 >> had never even heard of it.
13 >
14 > So how do you enter accented or non-latin characters or
15 > ligatures or the like?
16
17 I don't. The standard US English PC keyboard has nothing but A-Z,
18 numbers, a few symbols and standard punctuation. Typically, if someone
19 has an accented character in their name or address it is simply
20 entered in without the accent. Have to use "character map" type of
21 programs or alternate keyboard layouts to really enter any "special"
22 characters. Or the old alt-keypad method from DOS, I don't know if
23 that even works in Linux.
24
25 >> Wikipedia has some info about how you might go about setting
26 >> it up.
27 >>
28 >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key
29 >
30 > Um, since my compose key works fine with most applications, one
31 > might assume that I've already got it set up.
32
33 A quick googling says:
34
35 It looks like the deadkeys problem was a known bug and should have
36 been fixed in 1.0.1-r2 (there is aterm-1.0.1-deadkeys.patch in the
37 portage tree). What version did you try?
38
39 The rxvt-unicode website has a FAQ about the compose key not working:
40 http://pod.tst.eu/http://cvs.schmorp.de/rxvt-unicode/doc/rxvt.7.pod#My_Compose_Multi_key_key_is_no_longe
41
42 I can't test it since I lack the necessary key.
43
44 Paul