From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Terminals that work with "compose" key?
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:36:17
1 On 2009-02-17, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 2009-02-17, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> The compose key still works fine in xjed, emacs, rxvt, mrxvt,
7 >>>> xterm, and dozens of GTK and Qt based apps. But, it doesn't
8 >>>> work in aterm or urxvt.
9 >>
10 >> [...]
11 >>
12 >>> I've never owned a keyboard with a "Compose" key, actually I
13 >>> had never even heard of it.
14 >>
15 >> So how do you enter accented or non-latin characters or
16 >> ligatures or the like?
17 >
18 > I don't. The standard US English PC keyboard has nothing but A-Z,
19 > numbers, a few symbols and standard punctuation.
20
21 I know. I'm here in the US and have normal USian keyboards.
22
23 > Typically, if someone has an accented character in their name
24 > or address it is simply entered in without the accent.
25
26 That just seems a bit parochial. :)
27
28 > Have to use "character map" type of programs or alternate
29 > keyboard layouts to really enter any "special" characters. Or
30 > the old alt-keypad method from DOS, I don't know if that even
31 > works in Linux.
34 > A quick googling says:
35 >
36 > It looks like the deadkeys problem was a known bug and should have
37 > been fixed in 1.0.1-r2 (there is aterm-1.0.1-deadkeys.patch in the
38 > portage tree). What version did you try?
39
40 Great! Not sure why I didn't find that when I was Googling
41 earlier. It looks like I'm running 1.0.1-r1. I'll give -r2 a
42 try.
43
44 > The rxvt-unicode website has a FAQ about the compose key not working:
45 > http://pod.tst.eu/http://cvs.schmorp.de/rxvt-unicode/doc/rxvt.7.pod#My_Compose_Multi_key_key_is_no_longe
46
47 Yea, I found that -- it wasn't really all that helpful.
48
49 Note to FAQ editors: Saying "X is set wrong" isn't all that
50 helpful if you don't bother to say what the right setting is...
53 Grant Edwards grante Yow! WHO sees a BEACH BUNNY
54 at sobbing on a SHAG RUG?!
55 visi.com