From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What do you think about Firefox 57?
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2017 02:21:56
1 Danny YUE wrote:
2 > On 2017-09-08 00:48, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 10:26 PM, Danny YUE <sheepduke@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Hi all,
6 >>>
7 >>> I have been using FoxyProxy in Firefox for a really long time, until
8 >>> today I found its new version really sucks.
9 >>>
10 >>> Then I read the comment from author who declared that the old version
11 >>> can *only* be used before (roughly) end of 2017 before Firefox 57 and in
12 >>> new version some features must perish.
13 >>>
14 >> I am assuming that most actively developed addons will be updated before 57
15 >> drops, so the transition wont be too painful. Is the issue you're having
16 >> with FoxyProxy related to it relying on features that are no longer
17 >> available under the new framework?
18 > Yes. The FoxyProxy author declared that some features are no long
19 > available under the new framework.
20 > I am really depressed about it because I just use that plugin every time
21 > I use Firefox.
24 >> This update will break my favorite extension, Vimperator. I am already
25 >> looking at replacements for Firefox due to this. So far I have found
26 >> qutebrowser which isn't really as featureful.
27 >>
28 >> R0b0t1.
29 > I am using Keysnail, no idea whether or not it will be deprecated.
30 >
31 > If the features I want are blocked by the new framework, I'm afraid I
32 > would lock the version (fortunately it's Gentoo) for a long time, until
33 > I find replacement for plugins, or even Firefox...
34 >
35 > Danny
40 It's been mentioned before in other threads recently, have you looked at
41 Palemoon?  I have it installed here from a overlay.  I haven't checked
42 on it recently but if this new plugin thing with Firefox leaves some of
43 my plugins unusable, I may be looking at some other options myself.  I
44 might add, Seamonkey is stepping on a nerve or two of mine as well.
45
46 I've been wondering about this plugin thing myself since I heard about
47 it a few weeks ago.  Sort of glad to see a discussion about it.  Hoping
48 to find out what others think this is going to end up looking like.
49
50 Dale
51