From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What do you think about Firefox 57?
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2017 03:08:37
1 On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 9:21 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Danny YUE wrote:
3 >> On 2017-09-08 00:48, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 10:26 PM, Danny YUE <sheepduke@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> Hi all,
7 >>>>
8 >>>> I have been using FoxyProxy in Firefox for a really long time, until
9 >>>> today I found its new version really sucks.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> Then I read the comment from author who declared that the old version
12 >>>> can *only* be used before (roughly) end of 2017 before Firefox 57 and in
13 >>>> new version some features must perish.
14 >>>>
15 >>> I am assuming that most actively developed addons will be updated before 57
16 >>> drops, so the transition wont be too painful. Is the issue you're having
17 >>> with FoxyProxy related to it relying on features that are no longer
18 >>> available under the new framework?
19 >> Yes. The FoxyProxy author declared that some features are no long
20 >> available under the new framework.
21 >> I am really depressed about it because I just use that plugin every time
22 >> I use Firefox.
25 >>> This update will break my favorite extension, Vimperator. I am already
26 >>> looking at replacements for Firefox due to this. So far I have found
27 >>> qutebrowser which isn't really as featureful.
28 >>>
29 >>> R0b0t1.
30 >> I am using Keysnail, no idea whether or not it will be deprecated.
31 >>
32 >> If the features I want are blocked by the new framework, I'm afraid I
33 >> would lock the version (fortunately it's Gentoo) for a long time, until
34 >> I find replacement for plugins, or even Firefox...
35 >>
36 >> Danny
41 > It's been mentioned before in other threads recently, have you looked at
42 > Palemoon? I have it installed here from a overlay. I haven't checked
43 > on it recently but if this new plugin thing with Firefox leaves some of
44 > my plugins unusable, I may be looking at some other options myself. I
45 > might add, Seamonkey is stepping on a nerve or two of mine as well.
46 >
47 > I've been wondering about this plugin thing myself since I heard about
48 > it a few weeks ago. Sort of glad to see a discussion about it. Hoping
49 > to find out what others think this is going to end up looking like.
52 Palemoon is a good mention. As I've expressed previously on
53 gentoo-user, I was concerned about using it due to the slow
54 application of security patches. Someone responded that this is no
55 longer the case.
58 If anyone has time to join some of the Mozilla mailing lists I think
59 it would be worth it to ask them about their decisions. They seem to
60 be making most of their choices without user input. To be fair, I
61 doubt there are many users on the development mailing lists.
62
63 In this case I actually think switching to WebExtensions addons is the
64 start of a good idea as I can see some of the benefit, but asking that
65 plans for adding back some of the now missing API be created sounds
66 like a good idea.
67
68 Hopefully I will have time to do this myself, but if anybody gets to
69 it before me that would be appreciated. I am extremely busy now. I'm
70 suggesting this here because it seems like people here will be
71 affected and know enough to hold a conversation with the developers
72 who are making decisions.
73
74 My personal experience with Mozilla is that no one is authorized to
75 make changes. So why are there changes?
76
77 Cheers,
78 R0b0t1