From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] repair uefi vfat /boot?
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 11:33:40
1 On Sunday, 22 March 2020 22:51:20 GMT Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
2 > ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
3 >
4 > On Sunday, March 22, 2020 12:50 PM, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
5 wrote:
6 > > What Stefan said - the disk is on its way out and autorecovery of bad
7 > > sectors is failing. You could run:
8 > >
9 > > smartctl -a /dev/sda
10 > >
11 > > to see what errors it reports, but in the first instance if the data on
12 > > this disk is valuable I suggest you get another disk and immediately
13 > > transfer all useful/recoverable files off this drive. If the value of the
14 > > data is not high/irreplaceable, then carry on using it - it may take
15 > > years and years before it fails completely.
16 > >
17 > > To reallocate a bad block on your disk and hope more won't arrive
18 > > overnight, have a read at this page:
19 > >
20 > > https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/BadBlockHowto
21 >
22 > i get this output:
23 >
24 > https://gist.github.com/Al-Caveman/b3be1a623f20b55de80d0e2eddcda5d4
25 >
26 > how to read this? seems very cryptic to me.
27 > how is this better than dmest -T?
28 >
29 > thx.
30
31 'man smartctl' provides some explanation with regards to reading the Attribute
32 values reported by the firmware of the disk, as does Wikipedia:
33
34 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#Known_ATA_S.M.A.R.T._attributes
35
36 However, with Seagate drives in particular reported values by the firmware are
37 counterintuitive and can cause confusion:
38
39 http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/Seagate_SER_RRER_HEC.html
42 Not withstanding the above, if you look under the section "-A --attributes" in
43 the manual you'll see the following. If an attribute type is of type 'Pre-
44 fail' and is equal or less than the Threshold value then there is a problem.
45 If the WHEN_FAILED column shows a dash, this means the drive has not failed
46 yet with respect to this attribute.
47
48 Looking at your SMART table we can see no attribute has failed completely yet,
49 but we see some potentially worrying signs too.
50
51 There have been a number of (ID 1) Raw Read Errors and also (ID 195) Hardware
52 ECC Recovered sectors. However, there are a large number of (ID 187) Reported
53 Uncorrectable errors - these are sectors the Hardware ECC failed to correct.
54
55 The next value (ID 188) Command Timeout is also of some concern, showing a
56 count of 30 aborted operations by the HDD.
57
58 There are also some Bad Blocks, with a raw value of 49. If you see this
59 number increasing over time, it means potentially more and more of your data
60 can be lost. It would explain for example why some of the files you stored in
61 the vfat partition are showing a size of zero. The value of (ID 197) Current
62 Pending Sector of 12 is also worrying - there are 12 sectors waiting to be
63 remapped to a more healthy part of the disk because of unrecoverable read
64 errors. The following attribute (ID 198) Offline Uncorrectable Error counts
65 also shows 12. These are indications your hard disk is failing probably due
66 to some platter surface damage and you should take all data off it. At some
67 point it will fail completely and until then loss of data is likely to
68 increase.